"The two things in life you are in total control over are your attitude and your effort.”
– Michael Hyatt.
There tends to be a direct connection between a positive attitude plus an excellent relationship, greater success, and superior health.
Multiple studies demonstrate that personality traits such as pessimism plus optimism may influence several areas of a person’s well-being and health. The positive outlook and thinking that comes together with optimism are significant for effective stress management. Having a positive attitude boosts your energy, inspires others, enhances your inner strength, and attains the fortitude to accomplish tough challenges. Positive thinking increases your lifespan, reduce distress levels, decreases depression, provides better physical and psychological well-being, and permits you to cope well during challenges plus times of stress. Besides, effective stress management gets linked with multiple health benefits.
The following are multiple ways to adopt and maintain a positive psychological attitude.
- Surround yourself with several positive people. You should spend time with individuals who are supportive, and positive, and those who energize you and recognize your effort. Remember, in case you get close to a discouraging and drowning victim, they may take or put you down with them. Instead, pick a positive individual.
2. Positive thinking regularly begins with self-talk, which is the continuous series of unspoken thoughts running via your head daily. The automatic thoughts may be negative or positive. Some of the self-talk emanates from misconceptions that a person creates due to a lack of information.
3. Control any sort of your negative thinking. This may get attained in numerous ways such as:
- Anticipate the most excellent outcome.
- Instead of seeing the glass as half empty, see it as half full.
- Remain the middle ground. You should not view all things in extremes – as either a catastrophe or fantastic. This will assist you to minimize your lows and highs.
4. Be positive. To ensure you are not surrounded by negative individuals, ensure you are always positive to keep them off. Learn to master your thoughts in the following ways:
5. Be nice to yourself. It’s unfortunate some individuals say the worst things to themselves. When you criticize yourself for long, you’ll begin to believe it. The negativity may drag you down after some time.
6. Resisting negative thinking. Be conscious of and psychologically avoid negative thinking since it will assist you to change your behavior.
7. Keep it in perspective. You should understand that life is about prioritizing the issues and things that matter in your life as well as concentrating your efforts in such areas. This implies that small challenges that go wrong daily shouldn’t put you down. You should learn to ignore or address small problems and move on.
8. Set achievable, realistic goals. Nothing is wrong with setting a very high bar and ensuring you work hard to accomplish the established goals. The aim is to build self-motivation and confidence by establishing realistic goals as well as by hitting multiple singles instead of swinging for the fences.
9. Count your blessings. You should be grateful and as well as give thanks for the unique things in your life instead of ignoring them or taking them as easy and useless things, for instance, by keeping a written journal, or by giving thanks around the lunch or dinner table.
10. Turn challenges or problems into opportunities. You should not let challenges overwhelm you. Instead, turn the challenges into opportunities (don’t hit the wall, instead, go around it or climb over it).
Having a positive outlook permits you to cope well with stressful circumstances, which minimizes the injurious health impacts of stress on the body. Also, optimistic and positive people live healthier lifestyles since they follow a healthier diet, get more physical activity, and don’t drink alcohol or smoke in excess.